Friday, June 3, 2011

Quilt tops


(Sorry for the bad pic...too late to go back and get a better one.)

I tried quilting a few years ago with my mother& sisters-in-law and was only able to completely finish the baby blanket for my son and some pillows for my mom! So 2 years ago when I decided to do a home-made Christmas kind of thing I pieced together a little quilt top and sewed it onto a fleece throw and voila'!You have the blanket above! Then I thought-using a fleece throw is great! It's small enough that I didn't loose motivation, the back is done already, AND it's small enough I made my own pattern without much issue which eliminates the sometimes daunting task of taking an extra hour trying to read and follow directions-PERFECT!I finished it up just in time to send it out to my sister in Utah, even better!

So the next year I decided to try it again, this one went to a sister in Idaho...





This time I did start with a quilt block from another project(again, too many little details and I lost interest...maybe I should work on my patience). I thought this worked out nicely as I had a good block to start with which also made a central focal point.

I love this black and white fabric!



So, what I learned from this is that sometimes you don't have to follow directions. I am DEFINATELY not taking away from the hard work and the absolute BEAUTY of following patterns-I completely admire those who accomplish such quilts, but these worked out for me because I have no patience. I want to get a project done quickly so I can see how it turned out and start another one!
I also learned a little about color schemes....I'm terrible at choosing them. I hope my sisters don't hate them bc of the bad color schemes but liked them because they were made with love:)

I plan on making more, I have lots of unfinished quilts I can use the blocks from.



No comments:

Post a Comment